Monday, August 10, 2009

Catalina's speaking out

I love my girls so very much. They are so intelligent, smart, funny, sweet, happy, beautiful, gorgeous. They're totally and absolutely "awesome" in every way. They give meaning to my life and make me want to be better.
Parenting is one of those things you need to experience and learn on the way. You carry the example of your parents, and you take the good advice and examples of others; but one's children are unique, and everyone has a different battle field. One just has to try their best.
As most of you know, Catalina has a speech delay. I think her speech delay is mostly our fault because we haven't been consistent in teaching her the right structures of the 2 languages we speak at home (English/Spanish). We both speak both and go back and forth with them. She "Spanglishes" a lot and there are some things she just knows in English, and others she just knows in Spanish. Catalina is very confused but overall she has chosen to speak mostly English. The way I've learned that when you introduce more than one language to your child you need to be consistent and the ideal is that each parent should teach their native language, or the new language they know (like me just Spanish and Andy just English). We just didn't plan it this way and I'm still learning English myself. For over a year when I started to notice Catalina's speech delay I took her to be tested through the school district and stuff. Sadly we didn't receive the help we were expecting and disagreed with their advice. Finally, last March through her pediatrician she was approved to start a speech therapy. The therapist is just great and Catalina has improved so much. Little by little she has started to make more sense, speaking in full sentences, and adding more vocabulary to her sentences. Every little progress is just so rewarding for us. She'll start Pre-K in 2 weeks and I'm sure she'll catch up more then.
Catalina's speech is getting better and better. She can say cute and sweet things like: I love Jesus and Jesus loves me; I love my sister, she is so cute; Mommy, you're so beautiful, you are a princess; or even more elaborate things like: Mommy, can I talk to you for a second?. Of course baby what do you want to tell me?. My room is a magical room. Yes, why?. Daddy put stars and they are magical at night (Andy put some florescent stars in their room a few weeks ago). She has also said funny things like: Mommy, can you change Julienne's diaper, she is so stinky that I'm gonna throw up. But she can also say things that really embarrass me. Like the other day we were getting out of Publix and a lady passed by and said hi! (her face was all burned and disfigured) and Catalina started to say (very out loud): Mommy, look (pointing at her) she is a monster, did you see her face? (repeating it a couple of times). I felt horrible and kept walking faster. In the car I explained her that the woman had and accident with fire and that she has a big ouwy.
This morning I was bending over picking some clothes to do laundry. Catalina was on my bed about 11 feet from me. And she told me: Mommy, take your stinky butt out of my face! (she left me speechless but I'm so glad she didn't add more adjectives to that one).
Catalina is just so sweet. She is so clean and hygienic. She is very protective with her sister and cares a lot for her. She always helps me to fold clothes, puts and take things out of the dishwasher, feeds the dog, and a lot lot more. She sings so beautifully. She memorizes books I read to her and then she reads them to her sister. She has an amazing memory, she surprises me with all things she can remember from more than a year ago. She is just a blessing in my life. I love you so much my sweet Catalina.

2 comments:

SheL said...

I love Cata =) Her spanglish is my favorite. Come see me. I miss you.

Marc and Letty said...

She is so cute! and I know those kind of experiences, The children are so sincere, and honest. but we love them a lot.