Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Catalina's 4th Birthday/ Father's Day/ Julienne 911- ER Night

This weekend was very intense. On Saturday the 20th we celebrated Catalina's 4th birthday at our house. We invited some friends and had a great time. It was a very hot and humid day so almost everyone got to enjoy the great pool we have here in our complex. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, fresh fruit, cake and lots of candy. Catalina was so happy. Later that day she told me: "Thank you mommy, this is my best birthday party ever!" That cute gesture of her made it all worth it for us.

Sunday was a one of a kind day. It was the day I gave birth to my sweet Catalina. I can't believe how big she is now. At 6:45am Julienne started to cry. I went to her room and there she was with a 102.5 degree fever. I gave her some tylenol and her bottle and she went back to sleep. Catalina woke up during the commotion and asked me to give her cereal. We went to the kitchen and I told her "today is Father's Day". She instantly told me: " I have an idea, lets make some pancakes!". We made pancakes, scrambled eggs, and a fruit salad for daddy's special Father's Day breakfast in bed. I suggested to Catalina to make daddy's face on the pancakes, and she looked at me with a huge "what?". So I made daddy's face on the pancakes. She then looked at me with a huge smile on her face and told me "mommy, you're so smart!". We brought the breakfast for daddy and he absolutely loved it. His father's day present was a mouse mat with a collage with pictures of the girls.
The rest of our Sunday seemed like a normal one. We had church meetings, and our after lunch family nap. We invited our friend Jules and her sister over for dinner and played a little Guitar Hero. I talked to my parents through the web cam, then with my oldest sister. Julienne wasn't feeling so well, she had a fever again so I was ready to go to give her some tylenol and put her in bed while I was on the phone with my little sister. I started to rock her to sleep when she started to shake. I looked at her face and she wasn't responding to me. I called Andy and he put her on the floor and she started to have convulsions (febrile seizures). We called 911 and in 3 minutes we had 2 police officers and a fire truck. After 5 minutes the paramedics from the ambulance arrived. It was so scary. I was panicking and crying because she was not responding to anything and it seemed too long. I am so thankful to our friends the Alfaro family. They came in no time to stay with Catalina while we were being taken to the hospital in the ambulance with Julienne. We don't know our neighbors very well but there they also came to help with Catalina and Cuba. The ER experience was horrible. The stupid nurse (guy nurse) poked Julienne so many times to take blood. Her poor hands were so bruised. She had oxygen put one, and her heart was being monitored as well. I just wanted to hold her in my arms but I couldn't becuase she had so many cables all over. I couldn't stop crying for a couple of hours until she finally started to cry and react to everything that was going on. After blood tests, urine tests, x-rays and a lot of invasion it was just a virus that caused the fever, and the fever caused the febrile seizures (they all said it was very common in small children, but I've never seen it before). We were sent home near 3 am. When we where walking out the ER Julienne started to wave bye bye to the nurses, and got so happy when she saw the car. We got a huge scare out of it. Until now I still have to control her fever. Luckily it is the only symptom she has until now. The experience was too traumatic for her, today She had a follow up and I had to take all of her vitals because she won't let anybody else to touch her. I hope this nasty virus goes away soon. I want my super active-mischievous-loud-smart "monito" (little monkey) back at her full strength.

3 comments:

Brent and Cheryl VT said...

That is so scary -- believe me, I know! I am sometimes amazed that my kids made it to adulthood, and yet, as scary as any of their illnesses/accidents were, they really were only a "small part" of their childhood experiences. I hope Julienne gets all better soon, and that Catalina doesn't have to go through it, too.

Happy birthday to Catalina. It's hard to believe we have been gone from Key West for almost two years, and she was just a cute little girl -- now she's getting to be such a big girl!

SheL said...

I am so glad that little monito is okay. I am so sorry you had to go through that =(

We had so much fun at Cata's party with you guys! Thanks for being such awesome friends =)

Marc and Letty said...

Estamos contentos de lo bien que la an estado pasando, pero lo mejor es que julianne esta bien y no paso de un susto para la mama. que bueno que estan todos bien...
Salusos a todos.