This week we celebrated the Chilean Independence Day (from Spain). In Chile it is a huge thing. We have 2 holidays (the 18th and the 19th of September). The 18th we get together with family and friends and eat "empanadas", and lots of grilled meats & kabobs with various salads. People also drink "Chicha" which is a mild alcoholic beverage made of grape or apple. We hear folkloric music and dance the national dance "La Cueca". We love to dance cumbia too. Some people go to "Fondas" which are places that provide all the entertaiment and the food so you just pay to eat and have fun. The 19th we get up late and go to watch the military parade. All the military brunches get together and make a huge parade that runs for several hours during the day.
So we had a little celebration here at the house with the Alfaro family. The "gringos" I invited couldn't come ha ha. I made my famous empanadas and a chocolate mousse cake. I also dressed up the girls and sent this picture to my family to show everyone that I'am teaching my girls to love their Chilean heritage.
Note: I KNOW the flag you see is similar to the Texas one, but the Chilean one is much more precious.
No comments:
Post a Comment